Top 10 things to do in Paphos
Paphos, the ancient capital of Cyprus and birthplace of the goddess Aphrodite, is also a bustling city. All the trappings of a modern resort are found here including shops, night-clubs, bars, restaurants and supermarkets as well as plenty of culture, history and ancient architecture. If anything, we think it might be difficult to choose what to spend your time on! Here’s our top 10 activities to do once you’ve arrived at this delightful destination.
1. Chill out with a cold drink in a beachfront bar. Set on the west coast of the island, Paphos provides spectacular views of the Mediterranean.
2. Dine on fresh shrimp caught earlier that day or the traditional Cypriot halloumi (salty cheese that keeps its texture when fried or grilled) at one of the al fresco taverns in the medieval harbour of Kato Paphos.
3. Catch a tan. There are plenty of beaches throughout the area including the Municipal Beach and more secluded Faros Beach.
4. When you’re at one of the beaches, you can get your daily dose of excitement and exercise as well, as water sports such as diving, snorkelling, water skiing, windsurfing and surfing are available.
5. Keep the kids happy and take them to the waterpark in Paphos. It’s packed with slides and raft rides and will keep them entertained for hours.
6. Jeep safaris are a popular land-based activity that can be an exciting and different way to explore the region.
7. Delve deeper into the rich history of Cyprus and visit archaeological sites such as the 12th Century ruins, the amphitheatre, ancient tombs, the mosaics in the Roman house of Dionysis, the sarcophagus filled museum and the picturesque medieval harbour in Kato Paphos (the lower section of the city).
8. The higher section within the Paphos Area is Ktimi Island, where there are hilly streets and all the hustle and bustle of modern Cypriot life. This is where you can indulge in a bit of retail therapy, as traditional crafts are sold here alongside contemporary clothing and accessories.
9. The city is conveniently located just 10km from the airport, so it’s of little surprise that flights to Paphos sell like hot cakes. Play our free downloadable Kids Club games for on the plane during your flight.
10. If you’re in the area in March, take part in the Cyprus Marathon.